Huperzine A (selagine), is a controversial topic in the medical world. Some experts think it’s a good preventive measure against Alzheimer’s. Others warn against it.
Ten Basic Facts about Huperzine A
1. It is created from Chinese club moss (Huperzia serrata).
2. Because it comes from a plant, huperzine A counts as a supplement. But some consider it to be a drug instead, because it is highly purified in a laboratory before it gets sold. Most supplements contain hundreds of ingredients, whereas huperzine A is a lot less complex than that.
3. It comes in two forms: as a pill or an injection.
4. Since it has an impact on your body’s inhibitors, Huperzine A increases the amount of acetylcholine in your blood. Thus, it improves your neurotransmitter levels. This is one of the most important facts about huperzine A, and it is the reason that some doctors believe it can help protect you from cognitive decline.
5. It may help prevent Alzheimer’s, but we don’t know how efficient it is. Some studies were successful, while others found little or no improvement. This still requires a lot of research.
6. We also aren’t sure how much it can improve cognitive functions.
7. It comes with a number of side effects, including dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and either diarrhea or constipation. Taking huperazine A can impact you mentally as well, since it may cause anxiety and insomnia.
8. You should avoid huperzine A if you are taking donepezil or other medication that protects your cognitive functions.
9. Since researchers aren’t sure about the effects on pregnant women yet, you shouldn’t take huperzine A during pregnancy.
10. The recommended dosage is 0.2-0.4 mg a day. Too much huperzine A can cause serious complications, such as tremors, drooling, and incontinence.
We still don’t have all the facts about huperzine A. Before you start taking it, you should definitely consult a professional.